grkzgl - esque


.angle.rec. A.R.03.01.

Glitch. For some an ordeal to sit through, for others an absolute festivity for the ear. And depending on in which category you belong, you will either love this to death or hate it. But !!! Earlier this year I had the pleasure of seeing grkzgl live at the COMA festival in Montreal and they were definitly impressive. I remember one of the visitors coming to me stating "This my friend, this was absolute brillliant!". And that visitor was none other the Cordell Klier, who himself is definitly also capable of doing nice glitchy stuff.

So when I had the chance to review this 3" CD (6 tracks, 19 minutes) I right away said yes. Do I regret being that eager? No, definitly not.

grkzgl, which should be pronounced as 'grak-siggle', made a CD which is a true work of art. The layering is close to perfect, as is the production. Deep basses and rattling high frequencies form the base of structures which could be rhythms. Music to guide your thinking process.

At some points it reminds you of the tweaking sounds which you can find in tracks by Vromb, or 33mHz. At other points it's close to the Ultraphonist release on Foton records.

Easy? No, but it is beautiful, very beautiful.

Comments