Laurent Perrier - As far as


Sound On Probation

Experimental music is a thankful guidence for modern dance. There is enough to choose from and I recall the world famous Scapino Ballet using Ryuji Ikeda, Merzbow and The God Machine. Three extremes concerning alternative sounds and modern dance.

A bit more rare are the pieces especially written for or in combination with the development of a performance. My own 'Isolation' is an example of that and before me another one: 'As far as' by the Frenchman Laurent Perrier, released on his own Sound on Probation label.

With 6 tracks and a total playing time from 54 minutes there is a lot to discover on this album. Experiments range from loopy drone structures from classical sounding origin, to scarces explosions of intense analogue noises. Allthough the most part of the album the 'classical touch' dominates the sound and composition.

In comparison with his previous album 'Downfall/Disperse' - which I personally thought was an epic release - this album is way more formed and leaves less open to the listeners fantasy and/or imagination. So it is very probably that even better reviews will appear and a larger audience will be reached. Though in all honesty I still prefer that other one just a tiny teeny tad bit better. "Only" an 8.5 this time ;-)

But man, do I wish I saw that performance ... :-(

Comments