AUTAAR & 404 - IN DE KIEM GESMOORD

CDr, https://autaar.bandcamp.com/

"Nipped in the butt" is the literal translation of this Dutch title CD. A big stamp on the backside of the artwork mentions "Certified Drone" so me being me was happy as a kid; I love the drone! But my happiness was also nipped in the butt because this drone reference concerns the guitar/metal kinda drone, and not the very much overlooked "true" drone as I so much admire. It's like the definition 'Drone' has been kidnapped, just like 'Ambient' was kidnapped by low bpm techno/dance. Sorry for hijacking this review, guys, but I just had to get it off my chest.

The CD has six tracks and after a few listens isn't too bad at all. The total playing time is around 35 minutes, so the feeling of a whole CD is a bit on the short side. "Heroes Anti Heroes" is the track that comes closest to what true drone music is all about, "M.S.I." already has several characteristics of the other drone kind and the final four tracks fall in the 'other' category.

I've seen my fair share of drone/doom/sludge-related performances, and I will admit that Autaar & 404 would fit a line-up without a doubt. It has a nice slow paste, a thick atmosphere like just before a thunderstorm, and weird sounds scattered around where you want to know what's happening. Yet, still... Maybe it also is because of the titles of the tracks because it's almost dadaistic to read "Hank told me to buy crypto" and "Waiting for my extra spicey Tosti (Croque Monsieur)", and then I'm too baffled to think what a track is about or what the artist wants to say.

The author is Mark Lindhout (I believe from the Netherlands though his Bandcamp mentions Germany), and 404 is Joost van Ophem (Arnhem, Netherlands), which is Willeke's fault. On August 26th of this year, "In de kiem gesmoord" will be officially released according to the pamphlet sent with the CD. So no, you can't listen to it yet; you simply have to wait. Maybe have another tosti in the meantime.

Comments