SICKNESS - WAX CASTING

7" lathe. http://ballastnvp.blogspot.com/

Holiday times at my house. It's the first day of doing nothing and I'm getting a mail from Vital Main Office with "something short but nice you might like" ... And it's a effin lathe by Sickness !!! *insert little jumpy heart rhythm* If I would be able to write something about it if I would be interested ...

Well, I've heard there is no such thing as coincidence. This weekend I was going talking a walk on memory lane - my steps counter was activated because, well, holidays and I gotta make my daily goal - and I found myself back in 2009 at a festival in Birmingham. We celebrated 30 years of CON-DOM and there was a line-up featuring Slogun, Sickness, Sudden Infant, Grey Wolves, Brut and some others. So yeah, my wife and I went there of course! It was all a bit blurry to me, partially due to the fact that is was november and outside and cold. I remember cold. But I also remember the impact that Sickness had on me that evening. So much power, so chaotic and yet so much control in the consistency of his sounds. Chris Goudreau was a name I dove into after that weekend had the music of him I discovered since then hasn't let me down so far. Not once.

So to ask me if I would like to review something new: "Yes please". Because his output has been kinda scarce these last couple of years. And seven minutes on this 7" lathe, casted inside a wax shell, limited to 26 lettered copies, on Blake / Vertonen's Ballast label ... The two tracks, 4 and 3 minutes in length, are entitled "forerunner of possible losses" and "as though it has a plan for you", which might indicate a heavy emotional layer; Maybe why it has been so quiet for a long time? Side A (the 'forerunner'-track) is very dynamic, cut-up techniques like we know of Chris, but also moments of almost introvert silence, tension building up and going completely over all set boundaries. The 'plan'-track on side B is a bit more continuous as a whole which is not a bad thing at all. But the feedback / delay parts should be mentioned especially: These are amazing!

A very sincere and honest release by people who know what they're doing (both Chris and Blake). Highly conceptual in nature and a true piece of art as a whole. I expect a mail from the label that this thing will be sold out within one week. It's up to you to decide if you want one. It's now or never.

Comments