LUGOLA - DEFORM (LIVE AT XX WROCŁAW INDUSTRIAL FESTIVAL

CD, https://zoharum.bandcamp.com/

Lugola is a new name for me. Michał Kiełbasa hails from Poland, and he is behind it; this is his Power Electronics outlet. Next to that, he is active and has various metal-related bands, of which I know none. After seeing Mercyful Fate and Slayer early 80's, it couldn't get any better IMHO, so with the black, death, grind, doom and all variations there are - I dare you to mention them all - I just quit with it and became a drone- and noise head. So of his many monikers, it's also safe to say this one fits me the best sonically.

The eight tracks clock in under 40 minutes which is good if you consider it a recording from a live show (2021 Wrocław Industrial Festival). Except for one ("Tightening The Noose"), all tracks can also be found on the CD 'You Are Not Special' released about a year ago on Steinklang Industries. I should be listening to the Steinklang Release to hear the studio version and how the versions differ from each other. (* insert listening session *)

Well, the Steinklang release is already in its second pressing, and the atmosphere on both is quite different. Vocal processing is significantly different, and the studio recordings are less noisy than the live recordings. The studio version I'd label as Power Electronics, but the live is much more symbiosis between P.E and (harsh) noise. I don't know which one I like better, but that might also be a matter of the moment it's being played. But for me, the question I asked myself was if the tracks were worth being released twice - a little more than a year apart - and well, yes, they are. Yes, you can hear similarities, but the processing is different, and in a live perspective, the emotional drive of a performer is entirely different. So owning and liking the SK album is no reason not to get this one.

Comments