MUZIEKKAMER - KAMERMUZIEK

CD, https://kormdigitaal.bandcamp.com/ 

So there is this new CD released by Korm Plastics, who we all know. Not gonna dive deeper into Frans' label activities. Okay, maybe one thing: He once stated that he wasn't doing 'the label thing' anymore, and what do we have? Yep, a new release on his label. And when you listen to the music, you will understand why. This album is a re-release from an album way back, 1982, to be precise. A Dutch project called Musikkamer (tr: Music Room) did a cassette 40 years ago entitled "Kamermuziek" (tr: Chamber Music). It had never seen a re-release in those 40 years, while uncle Frans had the cassette high on his 'top 10 of albums that should be re-released in some form, because ...'

Now, the last week - while I should be reviewing other albums - I couldn't stop putting this one on repeat for several reasons. The first replay was because of 'What did I just hear'. Usually, when I review and the music is a bit ambient-ish, I play it while working, coding, soldering, or designing electronics. Background music to get acquainted with what I'm about to write about. With some reviews, one listen is enough, and I write, and I'm going to the next. With this one, I couldn't. So I had to replay it: 'What did I just hear'?

I stopped my activities and dove in headfirst without any diversion of any kind. Also, what I heard before opened up at a higher volume. The layers became much better, the composition started breathing, and a new environment was created. Music-wise, this album fits perfectly in the Ambient series from Brian Eno, and it even has moments where it seems to follow the aleatoric techniques used by Eno and Bowie on the 'Low'-album. But how could this release with this quality be hidden for so long? I had to listen again a few times... Maybe I could find the answer.

So I listened and re-listened to the CD and... I didn't find an answer to this last question. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. There is no reason why this album was restricted to a handful of cassettes, with music created by three unknown Dutch guys Cees van den Oever, his brother Martin, and Martin Keuning, independently released by themselves. So yes, it's now available digitally and on CD, remastered adequately by Peter van Vliet (Mekanik Kommando) and Raymond Steeg (Legendary Pink Dots). So this time, it's maybe the moment Muziekkamer's "Kamermuziek" will get the attention it deserves because it deserves a lot. This album is evidence that music is timeless. 

Comments