Lasse Marhaug - Carnival of Souls


Thisco THISK24

I'm playing this CD for the first time ... It all starts with some crackling ... Then it strikes me ... I can so fully understand that others didn't know what to make from this, even I can't do anything with it ... I begin to read my e-mail and see if there are any new posts on Livejournal.

Would this CD be exactly what Brian Eno meant with 'ambient'? Highly paraphrased it is music which is unobtrusive enough to be ignored, yet engaging should you turn your attention to it.

After 3 minnutes samples from voices und undefined sources start building a thin, minimal layer and knowing that Lasse Marhaug hails from Norway kinda fits the expectation. Minimal glitch? Minimal drones? Minimal noise? Whatever this may be, it is minimal, but definitly also pure. And therefore very strong.

After 9 minutes the first part really starts going en the track changes in a drone which just can't last long enough.

The second part just about starts where the first part had its climax. Short sounds from the before mentioned drone give you an uneasy feeling. I can't help wondering where the sounds were taken from. On the web I can't find any information about the short movie 'The Letter' by Tom Loberg on which this release is based.

The third part of the 20 minute track starts after about 15 minutes and it's a coherent, threatning mix of repetitive loops and drones. That is where we find the carnival sounds which probably gave this release its name.

And while the drone turns into a noisescape I wonder why I haven't heard about Lasse Marhaugs music any sooner (I only knew one other track). It's definitly worth to check out for people who like Merzbow, but are looking for a less propulsive wall of sound and a somewhat more 'ambient' approach.

Comments