If Thousands - I have nothing


Silber Records silber043

The first notes of the 'I have nothing' CD leave my speakers and at once iI have to think about the earlier work by the Dead Hollywood Stars. It must be one of my favorites of the last couple of years. But rather quickly the oppisite is proven by the album's makers, If thousands. It's just sounds and during the second track I ask myself why in heaven's name this isn't the second half of the first track. It would have fit perfectly.

The third track thoug is very hopeful again. 'Providence' is a great guitardrone where the sustain just balances on the edge of feedback. Towards the end of the track eratic sounds come forth. What are they, voices? Loose contacts? This is the ingredient for beautiful drones. Multiple undefined layer, either triggering or entrancing the listener.

I start reading their biography. "All musics evolves from the experiment. Entering the studio using instruments they had no training using". It answers a lot of my questions.

'Cymbol', the already fifth track of "the album with the short tracks", we hear Indian influences which are combined with guitar noises in a very nice minimalistic way. It's definitly (again) not bad at all, but I'm starting to get curious if the gentlemen experiment less and compose more. And exactly as I write it down my prayers are being heard; 'Walking Otis' starts. It is as if men are walking around in a studio playing and fooling around with shortwave radios and guitars. The tension structure is really gorgeous in this 5 minute 19 track; the second longest of the album.

But the drone-fun stops directly after the track. They're starting to play guitar again in 'Caterwaul' but I'ld prefer to play some old Hugo Race, or the soundtrack to Wenders' 'Paris/Texas' (by Ry Cooder). Other tracks worth listening to an this album are 'Children with horns', 'Eventide' '2i.Gist' and 'Alpha'.

The album isn't bad at all, but the 70/100 is based on a score of 55 for the seemingly endless experiments and a score of 85 for the few great drones / soundscapes which are on this album. Because they are most definitly worth it.

Comments