Martyn Bates & Troum - To a child dancing in the wind


Transgredient TR-03

How honest does someone have to be when he or she is a reviewer? Well, I always try to be as honest as possible and sometimes I describe releases a bit to much from my point of view. The big advantage is that after a while you will know how I listen, and what my background is musically. But mostly people say the reviews should always be objective. So why do I write all of this when I should be writing about this (excellent!) CD by Martyn Bates and Troum? Okay, it's because I don't have any Eyeless in Gaza ... Shame on me!

Martyn Bates is one of the original members of Eyeless in Gaza who made quite an impact in the musicscene back in the 80's. He is still very active over all the years with collaborations with amongst others Anne Clark, This Mortal Coil and even Mick Harris from Scorn.

Troum is a duo from Bremen and they are for me one of the first ones to introduce me to drones. I think that was back in 1998 in St. Niklaas Belgium where I saw them at the '11th Independent Music & Arts Festival' presenting their very first CD 'Ryna'. Ever since them I followed their actions and releases.

"So, enough background for now, what about this release?"

"It's brilliant!"

To be precise, if any of the two halves of this collaboration has your attention, you will not regret having this CD in your collection. The CD took two years to make through mail collaboration.

The quality of the recording is really very good, so within moments after 'press play' you will know this is the result of people who are on the same wavelength, working with the same goal in mind.

That goal is to find the common emotional factor in the mixture of Troum's music, Martyn Bates' vocals and additional music and finaly the poetry of Yeats. The class of this release shows they found that factor.

Comments