Fennesz & Sakamoto - cendre


Touch

In 1983, my little world changed and it was partially because of Ryuichi Sakamoto. Being a huge fan of David Bowie, I had to see 'Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence' where Bowie starred as Major Jack Celliers. In that movie Ryuichi Sakamoto also had a role, but he as well wrote the score for the movie. Together with David Sylvian he wrote the theme song 'Forbidden Colours' which was released on one of the most impressive Japan albums ever: 'Secrets of the Beehive'. Yes, Ryuichi Sakamoto earned a special place in my heart.

Still I lost track of his works. I was young, there was other music, girls, school, and you don't impress too many 17 year olds by saying you're heavily into classical music and Japanese composers.

Until the year 2003 ...

I was totally flabbergasted when I first heard the magnificent 'Vrioon' on Raster Noton. Ryuichi Sakamoto and Alva Noto. The album made it straight into my personal top-list as 'best albums ever'.

And now there is a new album released on Touch by Christian Fennesz and Ryuichi Sakamoto. Great massively produced soundscapes which are still fragile as minimalistic drones, combined with the erratic yet melodic pianosounds from Sakamoto. A pleasure to the ear of both classicist as well as droner or experimentalist. Somehow it seems like another episode - and a higher state of consciousness - in the live and works of both artists, but there is a 'but'.

The works of Sakamoto on this CD are great, and the additional sounds are gorgeous, yet it feels like something is missing. The CD doesn't have the sparkle or chemistry I personally felt with the release with Alva Noto. Don't misinterpret these words, as it is a brilliant release.

I advice everybody to get it. A glass of red wine, this album and a few burning candles will turn every evening into an unforgettable one ...

Comments