Fredrik Ness Sevendal - No Foly Bow


Humbug

A few years ago the album 'Dronesyndrome' by Kobi got an 8,6 from me. Great Scandinavian electro-acoustics combined with avant-garde. One of the persons behind that album now released a solo-album and I only wish I could be as positive as I was then.

Because the album isn't in my personal style (at least i can be totally honest about that) I'll try to give you a description. If it is something for you, you can decide for yourself after reading the review.

The album is a split release from two labels, Apartment Records & Humbug. The first is totally unknown to me, the latter released stuff from more well known artists like Tore Honoré Bøe, Lasse Marhaug and the sadly deceased Noise-Maker's Fifes. All good artists, so we can expect the best.

'No Foly Bow' by Fredrik Ness Sevendal is experimental folkish psychedelic guitar work. Not ambient guitars like Aidan Baker or Troum, or experimental looped structures like Fear Falls Burning, but the emphasis is on the psychedelic part. At moment I thought of works by Pink Floyd and 60's stuff like Sand. Discogs.com mentions as styles "Experimental, Neofolk" which proves that also a collective mind can be wrong.

The CD is released in an edition of 500 copies and I think that after a while they will sell all. The music is open enough to reach a larger audience, though it's originallity lacks a bit. If a 1000 would've been pressed I don't know if I would have said it too.

Best track on the album is "Gamle Gudbrand" where in 10 minutes a trance inducing atmosphere is created from which you're roughly woken up by gorgeously heavy distorted guitars.

Comments