Aalfang Mit Pferdekopf - Is It Possible To Be At War With You?


Dying For Bad Music

On a new label with the highly dubious name "Dying For Bad Music" the latest CD-r by Mirko Uhlig a.k.a. Aalfang mit Pferdekopf was released. The blog-shaped website of the label shows a picture of a beaten down analog synth and beneath its name it says 'indie, psych folk, drone, post-rock, lofi, electronic, punk and more'. Not knowing what I know now these words don't surprise me: Mirko will fit both the electronic as well as the drone description, right?

So there I stood, eels crawling out of my facial orifices, depicting visions of Medusa in stone, looking in a mirror, for I was wrong, so wrong. 'Is It Possible To Be At War With You?' counts 10 tracks and roughly half of it is indeed the gorgeous drones and experimental electronics we know so well from Mirko. The other half - and I quote from the promo-sheet - is experimental folk aimed to "come in your house to calm down broken hearts, or just to break healthy ones, with some lovely songs and sounds from the center of Twin Peaks' woods."

"Back from the dead with a grave-robbed guitar of Johnny Flash and the thunder-flute of Guybrush Threepwood! Sounding like a wooden box full of moths wrapped around a tree in Turkey - now with the voice of lurid lechers! And the lyrics of precocious parrots!"

While I sincerely wish I could make something from it, my knowledge of experimentel folk seems to be absent and my tastebuds disagree on these beforementioned folk-parts. On the other hand the ambient slash droney parts are exquisite as always and the 13 minute "Kör Sakta (Lekande Barn)" makes it a tasty album nevertheless.

Comments