Rob Byrd - My Ghosts And Yours


Del Chapel

In 2007 I was able to review an album by the Boston-based artist Rob Byrd. His 'Bells Of Tomorrow' was an inspiration to several Reiki masters and yoga teachers which - at that point - made me slightly premeditated about the album's intent. And maybe not only premeditated, but curious also on the difference between styles and labeling of sounds.

Before me is the most recent output by Rob, entitled 'My Ghosts And Yours' and I'm puzzled again. Not because of styles and Yoga and whatever, nhaa ... That was then, this is now. "My Ghosts" is way more an album which is directed to exploring different approaches and use of the guitar, resulting in a collection of seven tracks (72 minutes) of very nice ambience.

But then what's the puzzling part?

Well first of all an explanation that it's puzzling me. Which has nothing to do with the music or the artist. As said, the album is great and even though it's self-released (and production-wise you can hear one or two minor chokes in the recording) it has been added to none other then the Projekt Distribution. And if you know the Projekt label, you also know that it brought us the brilliance of Lycia, Vidna Obmana and Terrace of Memories. So If there is anything intriguing for you there, you might definitely consider picking up this CD.

The puzzling part for me is my own incapacitation to grasp the layer underneath the music, which is something that happens to me with more "Projekt"-projects. But why would that happen with these particular projects and for example not with AUN or Troum or Nadja? It can't be the limitation to using "just" the guitar, because face it: Many other only use the guitar as sound-source. Is it the clean sounds? Is it the use of sound-processors? Recording techniques?

I'll let you know as soon as I find it out but first I'm gonna push "play" again … Maybe I'll find out about it this time.

Comments