DEAD DOOR UNIT - LAUGH AT THE DEVIL

Cassette, https://tribetapes.bandcamp.com/

It's happy times again! Another new package from Tribe Tapes, a clear plastic blood-red cassette by Dead Door Unit. Until now unknown to me, but that will change in the next 62 minutes.

First things first, Dead Door Unit is Ken Geiger from New Jersey. Of course, he's been active as a musician way longer. Still, his noise and experimental output started somewhere in the second part of the last decade under various names and with various people. I've been checking Discogs - one of the first things I usually do when I hear of new names - and I can honestly say this is the first I hear of him or any of his projects.

'Laugh At The Devil' is a collection of many tracks properly divided over both sides. It's not two long untitled pieces, as the Bandcamp release page kinda implies, and I am not yet sure if I would like it to have those separate parts titled. In general, I would say it's good to indicate what a maker wants to communicate with his output. So is "Laugh At The Devil" indicative enough? Or is the title of the artwork at the inlay being "Desperation"? I could use a little more, but I'm probably lacking fantasy.

The tracks were "destroyed and reassembled" in the summer of 2022, which sounds like a really shitty summer (pun intended) because the combination of harsh noise, slow-evolving noise drones and heavily manipulated field recordings and junk noise are a true pleasure to listen to. Unfortunately, there is not any artist Dead Door Unit can be compared to, which is good because it means he's original in his approach, even though the promotional words mention the early works of Dom Fernow.

Sixty minutes and the automatic return of the tapedeck clicks. How about I listen to it again, it's okay with me. Still can't tell you my favourite track, and I still like what I hear.

Comments