CLOSER BONES - LIVING A NIGHTMARE: ROAD TO DISASTER

CDR, http://www.loveearthmusic.com/

Closer Bones is the project of Isaac Tyler from New Hampshire. His profile mentions the term depressive harsh noise/drone as a musical direction, and "Living A Nightmare: Road To Disaster" is his fifth or sixth full-length release and his second on Love Earth Music. It was my first encounter with Isaac's output, so I had no idea what to expect. I suppose the cover art by Wormhoudt gives some indication: a crown of thorns, skulls, a guy hung from a lantern and a farmer working the land with a plough pulled by two horses. If you understand, I understand, but rest assured that this is not happy noise with happy dance rhythms and an ever-so-joyous TB303 acid line. This is meant to be confronting.

The CDR has one track built from noises in the foreground and the background, with noises in between. I don't know if I would mention drones, but depressive harsh noise hits the spot. Or maybe better: harsh contemplative noise, as it is in the less noise-filled areas in the sound perspective that the samples/spoken word is getting audible and kinda possible to follow. It remains difficult to find the origin of where the samples are taken, but they're no happy conversations - I can tell you that much. Somehow this album grew on me, even if it's a 50-minute exercise without any true moment of rest. It has a storyline, a beginning and an end, and a lot is happening, so there isn't a dull moment. But I think this would make an even bigger impact when listened to as if it was a live show. High volume with no place to hide. More confrontational than contemplative. In that setting: A+

Comments